Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What freezer for garage

In article ,
David writes:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:15:58 +0000, RobH wrote:

We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

Another vote for Beko - we now have two under cover outside.
Bought one, won the other on Freegle.

If you want a fridge/freezer make sure that it has two independent
compressors - one for the fridge and the other for the freezer. A single

I didn't think anyone had made those for decades.
It used to be a speciality of Hotpoint, back when
Hotpoint was part of GEC and was a real manuafacturer
in the UK. They had a range for use in unheated
homes/rooms with separate compressors, which were
slightly more expensive than their standard models.
(I bought one, as it predated me installing central
heating.)

shared compressor leads to the freezer defrosting below (IIRC) 4C.

It goes wrong well above 4C. I've tried a few and
freezer temperature is not maintained correctly at 12C.

This should not be an issue for a freezer only, but
there are other problems with running freezers outside
the specified temperature range.

BTDTBTTS.

Cheers

Dave R