Joe Willmann

Default My doors don't close evenly

(Eric Prebys) wrote in
om:

"Leon" wrote in message
Two things are possibly wrong. 1. Either side of your door jam is
not plumb or your door is warped.

the door and reasonably high quality and testing indicates that it
isn't warped.

i'm pretty sure both sides of my door are not plumb. there really
isn't anything for them to be plumb to since the wall is pretty
warped.

but they should be plumb to each other. so i want to know if i can
effectively plumb the hinge side of my door by adding shims directly
underneath the hinges.

and if so, what is the formula for adusting (i.e. adding a shim to the
barrel side of the top, door facing hinge will push the top, swinging
side of the door to close earlier.

Your going about it backwards.

1) Pull the trim moulding off of both sides of the door. You can
usually do this without damaging it. When you are done you put it right
back up.

2) Find a friend with a saw-zall. When prehung doors are installed they
are shimmed in place then finish nails are driven through the frame,
through the shims and into the 2x4 that the rough opening is framed in.
What you want to do is run the saw-zall with a metel cutting blade
between the door frame and the rough opening to cut the nails. Do this
across the top and down the edge with the door handle. Now the door
frame is loose and held in the rough opening by the hinges.

3) Get new shims and re-adjust the door frame so everything is square
and flush. Nail the frame back in.

4) Put the trim back on.

5) Touch up.