Leon

Default My doors don't close evenly

"Eric Prebys" wrote in message
om...
"Leon" wrote in message

Two things are possibly wrong. 1. Either side of your door jam is not
plumb or your door is warped.

the door and reasonably high quality and testing indicates that it
isn't warped.

That does not prevent the door from being warped although it is probably
unlikely.

i'm pretty sure both sides of my door are not plumb. there really
isn't anything for them to be plumb to since the wall is pretty
warped.

You plum the door jams to a Level, not the wall. Close the gaps between the
jam and wall with moldings and or caulk.

but they should be plumb to each other. so i want to know if i can
effectively plumb the hinge side of my door by adding shims directly
underneath the hinges.

Plum to each other????? Maybe parallel to each other but plumb is measured
with a level as bieng perpendicular to the ground not a wall or each other.

and if so, what is the formula for adusting (i.e. adding a shim to the
barrel side of the top, door facing hinge will push the top, swinging
side of the door to close earlier.

I suggest you rehang the door jam and use a level, not the wall.