Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_5_] DerbyBorn[_5_] is offline

Default Pilot light on gas boiler

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in newsutfdk
:

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
A friend has a Baxi 45/4M gas boiler, one with the gas fire in front
of it. Seems the pilot light has a habit of being blown out when it
is windy. He could not ignite the pilot light yesterday, but today the
pressing of the buttons worked.
Press for gas/ hold / press for spark. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Seems the pilot light is behind a glass shied, difficult to get to
using a match.
I suspect that this is going to happen again
Any suggestions?

My old boiler went this way and I found that a black deposit was
partially blocking the pilot jet. They are fiddly to clean and great
care is needed to make sure you dont chip the ceramic jet as it then
lets too much gas through and burns yellow and you have to buy a new
jet.

That sounds reasonable.
Sent on.
Thanks.

Perhaps the spark gap has become large and the lead is tracking to earth.
Maybe dirt has diverted the gas from the spark area.