Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] tubeguy@myshop.com is offline

Default Home LED Flickers

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 18:23:45 -0800, mike wrote:

On 12/11/2018 4:44 PM, wrote:
I got a 60W Equliv. LED bulb in a fixture that flickers all the time.
Its not very old. It does produce enough light but gets annoying after
awhile. They only cost a buck or two, so i'll just replace it, but I
wonder what is causing the flicker?

Does the fixture wire it directly to the mains or does it have some kind
of switching, wireless, touch, dimmer, anything but direct wire to the
mains?

What's your definition of flicker?
Some bulbs have noticeable flicker at line frequency.
Most flicker at a much lower rate if you put some
electronics in the middle. It's the electronics that
expects the resistive load of an incandescent that flickers.

My guess is a cheap electrolytic in the rectifier, but I have never
really seen a schematic for how they are wired.

I have it in my hallway. Standard switch only, no dimmer. Fixture is a
common "BOOB LIGHT". (Google that). I haave 3 such fixtures in the
house, all have LEDs. Only this one in the hallway flickers. Neither the
incan bulb or CFL that used to be in that fixture flickered. So its
likely the LED bulb. I bought a bunch of them at Walmart and then Dollar
Tree was selling some for ONE DOLLAR (US) for TWO PACK. I stocked up.
I am not sure which is in this fixture, but no others flicker from
either store.....