LostInSpace

Default My doors don't close evenly

I had the same problem on some doors in my house. I opted for cutting thin
wedges of maple on the angle sled of my table saw and discreetly adding them
behind the moulding if it wasn't obvious. The best way is probably to
replumb the jamb but it's a tough call, depends what you willing to live
with really.

"Eric Prebys" wrote in message
m...
hi!

I have two doors that I recently installed that don't close perfectly
evenly. They fit squarely this way:

----------
| ------ |
|| ||
||h ||
|| ||
||h ||
|| o||
||h ||
|| ||
| ------ |
----------

and the hinge line is level with gravity.

but the bottom of the door closes before the top of the door. when the
door is latched, there is a ~1/4" gap at the top corner, opposite from
the hinges.

i want the door to seal tightly against weatherstripping for sound
blocking reasons, but it doesn't make a good seal. i installed both
doors. one is a prehung door and i had to do a lot of work to get the
swing parallel to gravity. i don't want to undo previous work or
reseat the hinges because the gape is at most 1/4" and the house is
very crooked so i'd be hard pressed to do much better.

can i adjust the door by

1. loosening the middle hinge so it doesn't affect swing of door.

2. adding a small shim to the inside (hinge side) of the top hinge.

3. adding shims to middle hinge so it fits naturally.

thanks for any advice!

eric

ps. if i can't get the door to shift, i can fix the problem by adding
extra weatherstripping. does anyone have suggestions for making this
reliable (so the weatherstripping doesn't loosen and peal off.