Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Home LED Flickers

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 8:11:10 PM UTC-5, John-Del wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 3:44:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 3:07:34 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 12/12/2018 8:00 AM, wrote:
As an LED is a go/no-go device, flicker is indicative of a condition outside the emitter. Full stop.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I love it when people say "full stop" like that makes 'em right.
So, you've never seen a thermal intermittent...

Unlikely, maybe. Full Stop, not so much.

A thermal intermittent would not apply to the emitter. It would very much apply to the driver, socket, contacts, whatever. I have seen my fair share, naturally - and none of them were an emitter fault.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I've seen plenty of intermittent or even slow to start LED emitter chips. In LCD backlights, I've changed over two thousand of them in the last 5 years.

But, the majority of those were either shorted or open, but the intermittent ones busted my ass enough to force a change of procedure in bench testing before the display was reassembled. Several thermal cycles as well as under-volting and over-volting the array will ferret out most intermittents.

I forgot to add that in no case have I seen an LED chip "flicker", at least not in a steady cadence. OP never clarified what exact kind of flicker he had but I think we've gotten off the subject a bit.