Java Man (Espressopithecus)

Default Radiant Heat in Slab -- HELP!

In article . net,
says...
~ In article , thnewton@nospam-
~ hotmail.com says...
~ ~ Thanks so much guys for sharing your knowledge. I had a long talk with the
~ ~ contractor today... here's an update. By the way, my location is Long Island
~ ~ NY... average evening temp in Feb about 25 or so, the ground below is dry
~ ~ and densly packed earth with some clay
~ ~
~ ~ We just had a frank talk...
~ ~
~ Details snipped.
~
~ I think your contractor should have consulted you before going ahead
~ without insulating the slab.
~
~ The extra insulation at the edge of the slab will make a significant
~ difference in the temperature of the ground under the slab because
~ the "temperature gradient" will be much flatter.

Oops. I misspoke. The temperature gradient won't be flatter. The
temperature gradient depends only on the temperature difference and
the conductivity of the soil. The insulating value of the soil will
be higher because the route from slab to exterior ground surface will
be much longer.

Rick