Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bje@ripco.com is offline

Default Home LED Flickers

KenW wrote:

A buck or two ?

Yeah but it depends where you live.

Here in Chicago you can walk in just about anywhere and expect to pay .99
to maybe $1.49 for a 60W led standard bulb.

The reason being, the local electric company got dick slapped for rate
increases which went to executive salaries, bahama vacations and golden
parachutes instead of the "infrastructure improvements" they claimed what
they were for. After the states attorney and citizens utility board got them
to audit their books, the truth came out.

So their rates were frozen for 10 years and then for a period of time I'm
not sure of, have to subsidize the costs of energy saving devices, which led
bulbs fall under. They also pay you $50 for replacing some older appliances.

I'm not sure they still do it, haven't looked, but like Home Depot even had
a special rack for the subsidized bulbs. I though it was odd but some of
them available were 100W incandesent ones, but they only used 80W of
electric but gave out the same amount of light. Those were considered energy
saving too.

It's about the only bargain with living in Chicago these days.

-bruce