Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default What freezer for garage

On 10/12/2018 15:59, Nick Odell wrote:
On 10/12/2018 15:34, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:15, RobH wrote:
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers
don't do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C.
He said it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered
over or insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we knowÂ* a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20
years is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the
winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

I have two Beko upright freezers in a shed. They have been OK even
when it was -9C outside. They are intended for low ambient temps; down
to -15C.

https://www.beko.co.uk/appliances/re...ators/freezers

If you really thought there might be a problem why not add a froststat
and a 100W greenhouse heater? Stand the heater behind the freezer.

Wot Bill sez.

My sister had an ordinary domestic freezer in the garage which stopped
working when the first winter came along. No damage done: it just used
ambient room temperature as a reference point for its freezing operation
and couldn't make sense of its surroundings. A localised, low power
heater solved her problem.

Nick

My Liebherr fridge freezer has a low temp button next to the
internal light, which it keeps on at half power sufficiently to
make the thermostat think it is getting too warm.