Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default nuclear thermal generators, was: How does a thermocouple ...

On 12/10/2018 1:08 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
"Bruce Farquhar" wrote in message
news

I said "We do have nuclear power stations which can and do explode...."
You said "Wrong."

Only Fukushima exploded.

And that was _NOT_ a nuclear explosion but conventional hydrogen gas
(which came from decomposition of water and collected). It isn't
physically possible to create a supercritcal mass from the low-enriched
commercial reactor fuel.

The biggest risk of something bad at TMI was, in fact, the potential of
a H2 explosion there but were able to get it vented without having such
an incident. With the tsunami at Fukushima, the ability to have hands
on site and take corrective action was too severely limited to be able
to have any timely mitigating actions.