Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default What freezer for garage

Its a heat pump and there needs to be temperature difference, however one of
the big problems is that domestic mechanical devices are not tested to cope
with large swings in temperature, the high heat of summer and the intense
cold of winter and all the implications of condensation etc. I do not really
see the difference in form factored, its probably got more to do with the
design specs.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"RobH" wrote in message
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said it
was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years is
about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks