Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What freezer for garage

On Monday, 10 December 2018 11:43:35 UTC, NY wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news

It is at least partly true. The working fluids in a lot of modern fridges
and freezers are predicated on them being installed in a centrally heated
house. You have to chose a freezer that is designed to operate in an
ambient temperature typical of a garage in midwinter.

My brother in laws upright freezer failed spectacularly one cold winter
when the garage got down to about 2C. Cold enough to stop it working
entirely and warm enough that stuff thawed and refroze making a mess.

You need to read the rating plate carefully and know what it means since
they encode the working range in a peculiar way. I have posted before on
how to interpret the ratings plate.

If it doubt, specify to the salesman that you need to use it in an unheated
garage and that it must be suitable.

Hope you manage to find what you are looking for. When we were looking to
replace a freezer that thawed in the same dramatic way as yours, the
salesman in one shop was most unhelpful and claimed that no-one makes
freezers like that any more - why would *anyone* want a freezer anywhere
else than in a nice warm kitchen?

expecting a salesman to understand anything is optimistic. Sadly the national standard of retail salesmen is poor.