Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default What freezer for garage

"RobH" wrote in message
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said it
was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years is
about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Beko still make freezers that can be used outside in an unheated
garage/shed. Many other makes require the room to be kept at about 15 deg C
minimum. It always seems perverse that when you go away on holiday in winter
you have to keep the heating on low to keep warm an object that is designed
to keep things cold.

Fridge/freezers tend to be more fussy than dedicated fridges or dedicated
freezers. I think this is partly because they often economise by only having
one thermostat and one compressor (or at least no valves to direct
refrigerant to just the freezer or just the fridge, according to separate
thermostats) and they assume that if the temperature in the fridge is kept
constant, the temperature in the freezer will also be correct as long as the
proportion of refrigerant to each part is correct.