Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Odd wiring in tube ampmschematics

On 12/9/18 3:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
One is thinking of a 240 volt system with 2 hots and the neutral, whrere
the neutral can have almost any ammount of current on it up to being
equal to what one side of the hot is using (120 volt devices).

This is one of fallacies here in Ranger.
Around here, the thought is the Neutral to the breaker panel from
the meter can be smaller because it's not going to carry ALL of the
current because there will be an offsetting current from the other
hot leg.

They also tend to under size everything, because, you know, copper
is expensive. For example, my house has a 200 Amp service.
That should be #000 on all three legs and #4 for the ground.
When I got here, it was two #4 on the hots, #6 on the neutral and
#10 for the ground.
That was one of the first things I fixed.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0