Jeff Wisnia

Default Light bulb malfunction-One more thought

Oldylocks wrote:

Nope. My fridge is always very clean and unfortunately very empty.
That shelf had a few cans of soda on it today, that's all. It didn't
just smell funny, it melted the plastic cover almost all the way
through. I've been e-mailing a light bulb expert and it's looking like
the bulb could get very hot before burn out.

-Oldy

snipped

Lemee know what he says, it's never too late to learn, and it'd be a gas
if my guess about the inner coating absorbing heat has some merit.

I know the reason there's a "hands off" precaution for halogen bulbs is
that finger grease on the outside of the glass absorbs IR energy and can
get so hot that the glass melts in that spot.

Have you contacted lighting guru Don Klipstein?

http://members.misty.com/don/light.html

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)