Oldylocks

Default Light bulb malfunction-One more thought

Nope. My fridge is always very clean and unfortunately very empty. That shelf had a few cans of soda on it today, that's all. It didn't just smell funny, it melted the plastic cover almost all the way through. I've been e-mailing a light bulb expert and it's looking like the bulb could get very hot before burn out.

-Oldy

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message ...
Michael Daly wrote:

On 3-Feb-2004, "Oldylocks" no wrote:

I just don't know if I've ever
seen a black burned-looking spot on a bulb like that. Maybe it's just about
to burn out?

It's not that uncommon, though you're probably more familiar with frosted
bulbs and don't notice. The filament will keep losing material and it coats
the glass. Once it gets too fine, one surge (as in turning it on) will cause
it to pop. Some types of bulb get coated thicker and faster than others -
Mini-Maglites (IIRC - krypton bulb) look silvered by the time they reach the
end of their life.

Mike
Was the plastic shell is a location where someone could have overstuffed the refrigerator to the point where it got pushed against the bulb, but then sprang back out when the stuff was removed?

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)