Oldylocks

Default Light bulb malfunction

Can anyone confirm that the 40 watt appliance bulb pictured in this photo
looks normal?
http://webpages.charter.net/aapace/bulb.jpg

It still lights up so it's not burned out. I just don't know if I've ever
seen a black burned-looking spot on a bulb like that. Maybe it's just about
to burn out?

I just had the oddest experience in which this appliance bulb in my fridge
melted through the plastic light casing that covers it. I was taking items
off a shelf in there and noticed a melting plastic smell within about 4
minutes of having the door open. Within another minute, I identified the
source of the smell as the light cover and immediately called the
manufacturer, whose rep was very helpful and is graciously replacing the
parts involved.

I am so curious as to what could have happened... can light bulbs "surge?"
I've had that door open for longer periods than 5 minutes in the past.
Nothing's been moved, so I can say with confidence that the bulb hadn't
shifted in its socket. The fridge and the bulb are 3 years old, clean, and
otherwise working fine. It really seems like the bulb all of a sudden
produced way too much heat.

Anyone have a theory that doesn't involve appliance bulb gnomes or Justin
Timberlake?

Thanks!
-Oldylocks