Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fine pitch trace repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 13:13:26 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

The ones that used a computer
monitor did not work because I could not get the hand/eye to co-ordinate
looking out and working down. Seems like most magnifying glasses had to
be too close to the work to do any soldering.

Question: When typing on a computer keyboard, do you watch your hands
or watch the characters on the screen?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed that those who watch their hands
tend to have problems looking through a microscope or magnifier while
working. I do fairly well, but had some initial problems trying to
become accustomed to a HUD (heads up display). It still takes me
about 10 minutes to adjust to the HUD, and about 30 mins to recover
(i.e. not stumble or smash into things) after returning to normal
vision. I have similar problems working under a microscope, but the
adjustment and recovery times are much less.

Incidentally, if you have an Amscope microscope camera, their free
Windoze v3.7 software works quite nicely:
https://www.amscope.com/software-download
However, it won't recognize anything else besides Amscope hardware.

Bought an Amscope 4000z or could be a 400z for around $ 200 shipped and
it works very well for me. There is about 6 ot 8 inches of distance
from the bottom lense to the work piece. I am sure there are lots
better ones out there ,but for a hobby and not business, it is fine for
me.

This one? The SE400-Z seems to be quite popular in the repair biz:
https://www.amscope.com/10x-20x-led-binocular-stereo-microscope-boom-arm-with-gooseneck-light.html
9 inch (229 mm) working distance. Nice.

Various videos featuring the Amscope SE400-Z
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Amscope+SE400-z

Also, I have a few of these borescope or endoscope cameras in 8mm:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-WIFI-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-camera-Scope-Tube-Waterproof-for-Iphone/192130852197
I use them mostly for looking down holes, tubing, and hard to see
places. The 8mm flavor has 640x480 native resolution, which is much
better than the lower resolution found in the smaller diameters. There
are also version with a "stiff" cable, which I've found quite useful.
However, the apps all suck, the construction marginal, the Hi-Fi and
BT versions are buggy, but for the price, all this can be tolerated.
I thought it might be useful for soldering, with the camera strapped
to my hand, but the focal length and depth of field (focusing range)
were both unsuitable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D