Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP54825A Infinium scope

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 09:33:03 -0600, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

The motherboard in the 54825 died, so I bought a 54845A as a
replacement.
I'd forgotten what a cluster **** it was dealing with Windows
98.

I'd also forgotten, intentionally. No thanks for reminding me of past
nightmares and for raising the dead.

After a bit of the usual flailing around, I upgraded to
Windows 98 Second Edition and upgraded the USB drivers, nice,
I can mount an external USB hard drive now.
I also installed the drivers for an HP LaserJet 1200 printer

When your HP Laserjunk 1200 decides to feed multiple pages ending in a
paper jam, there are kits that claim to solve the problem.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=laserjet+1200+jam+kit

so I can click the print button on the screen.
Next trick is to use this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/271563447023
to mount the 8 Gig SSD in a Dell PC chassis so I can load
Windows XP on it, then do the HP Infiniium XP upgrade.
https://docplayer.net/6691001-Infiniium-upgrade-and-recovery-guide.html
Yes, I'm having too much fun with this.

I've had a bit too much entertainment dealing with Windoze XP and SSD
drives. XP does not have a built in TRIM function. Without TRIM, the
SSD does too much writing and can limit the life of the drive. I
didn't have much luck with various workarounds. I assume that HP did
something in the Infiniium scope series to stretch the life of the
SSD, which might not be present if you replace the OS:
https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+xp+trim
Opinions seem to vary as to using XP on the scope:
https://www.google.com/search?q=infiniium+oscilloscope+ssd+trim

Here's a fun YouTube video of a guy working on a 54835A on
the workbench. His has Windows 95 as the operating system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbKfZ4WWt4k

Nice scope. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann