Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Type of wire to use for shielded test lead....

In article ,
says...

I am restoring a Eico VTVM model 221. The DC requires a test lead with
shielded wire and a 15M resistor in the probe. It did not come with the
leads. I have all the connectors and the resistor, but need shielded
cord. Can I just cut the ends off a guitar cable to make one? I dont
want to buy a whole roll of cable, which willnever get used after this
project. I also considered the cable for CB radio antennas, but thats
darn stiff. And tv ant coax has that funky aluminum foil for shielding,
and is also stiff.

What else can I use?

I will use this meter for tube radios in the RF and IF stages, so I do
need the shield.

Any shielded wire will work. Just be sure it is rated for the voltage
you are going to measure.

Not being familiar with the Eico, but the 15 meg resistor seems very
high. Maybe it is a 1.5 meg. The VTVM I have used a 1 meg resistor in
the end of the probe.