Andrew Gabriel

Default Moving freezer, keep upright essential?

In article ,
(Jonathan G Campbell) writes:
I'm moving a chest freezer to another house about 10 miles away. The
problem is that it will not fit upright into my hatchback. It would
fit if placed on its side.

I've been told that I must keep it upright at all costs. True?

In my experience, yes.
Even after shaking it around, most instructions say leave it
standing for a day before switching on. I turned one on its
side for half a day and then left it standing upright for
many days, but compressor burned out within 20 minutes of so
of being switched on.

Hotpoint (and someone here) suggested that it might have been
recoverable if I had run it for perhaps only 30 seconds every
10 mintues over a day. However, I'd already damaged it past
that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel