Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressors - kinda on topic !

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 8:07:23 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
If I can't get it going I'm probably going
to order a new motor , they can be had for around 200 bucks and this one
is pretty old . At this point I've got less than that tied up in this
unit including the original (very used) purchase and parts to rebuild
the pump . Nowhere I know of to get a unit of this size and qualityfor
anywhere near that cheap , including a new motor .

--
Snag On 12/4/2018 2:03 AM, James Waldby wrote:
On Tue, 04 Dec 2018 00:44:44 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:53:29 -0600, Terry Coombs ... wrote:
Well , Mr. Compressor has a case of the humms . That is , when I try
to start it , it just humms (until the O/L cuts it off if I let it go
that long). This is the original motor on an old Speedaire 60 gallon
tank , 220 volts and 3450 RPM's . Specs call for 15 amps full load ,
rated output is 2.98Kw , about 6 hp . This is an Emerson/Doerr
compressor duty motor . Tested both caps , one is good and the other
isn't according to the tests with my DMM . Problem is that the bad cap
has rubbed the capacitance and voltage ratings off the label . Got a
couple of calls in , looked around on the internet , can't find a
definite answer . I'm pretty sure it needs to be around 250uf and at
least 250 volts - though maybe higher voltage to account for spikes . I
have the motor type/classification numbers , just can't find a reference
to check ... anybody got a lead on that type of info ?
That will be the start cap - 275 volt and 80-100 uf

Don't take my word for it - take a look where I got the info:

If you can wait , I can probably come up with suitable motor or cap.

A few week- ago the scrap yard had 6 or maybe 12 swimming pool motors brand new in original boxes. And 3 phase motor are sometime available in the 50 or 100 hp sises, Smaller are most always available-

Dan
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !