Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly Solar Cells)

-
Hi,
PCs need to be configured to take advantage of power saving.
My PCs all go to stand-by and sleep after certain period of inactivity.
Even hard drives cycle down. Nonitor goes blank.
Older boxes may not do this well but newer ones which is ACPI 2
compatible only needs configuration from your system BIOS/OS.
Tony

Hi,

Have done this already, but had to disable the CPU sleep mode and the hard
drive spin down. 'Seems my Wacom digitizers don't come back up after a
standby event. I wrote to Wacom about it and their attitude was to tell me
not to use the power saving features of my PC. Obviously, it's their driver
that's at fault, but they have no interest in fixing it.

I decided it wasn't worth making a stink about, since my PCs almost never
get to idle, with one rendering animation frames day and night, another
compressing MPEG streams for DVD master, and another serving internet web
audio.

I sometimes wish I could make the graphics accelerators sleep while the main
CPU is rendering, since I don't see any video during that function, and
since the GPU uses 75W by itself.

Believe me, I tried everything, but the simple immutable fact is, for X
amount of work done, X amount of electric current gets consumed.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com