Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default hydro electric

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 08:09:58 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Given its not unusual to have in effect no wind due to an area of high
pressure centred over Europe that can last several days in the winter,
while the output from solar is approaching the cube root of f all, you
also have to wonder how one will have the spare generating capacity to
"charge" these storage systems if they existed, while also meeting the
current demand for power.

Simple - you'd need double the generating capacity, and probably also
significant upgrading of the transmission system to carry the extra
power. Funny how it doesn't get much of a mention!

Cruachan was built at the same time as Hunterston (I think) nuclear site to
absorb the overnight surplus energy. i suspect the same applied to
Dinorwik.
If we have no nuclear, then there's no overnight surplus (except some
possible wind or tidal). I

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England