Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Fine pitch trace repair

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:27:11 PM UTC-8, bitrex wrote:
On 12/03/2018 09:05 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 4/12/18 12:53 pm, bitrex wrote:
Due to an unfortuante jab with the head of a screwdriver it looks like
I have at least one, possibly two broken traces

Fine wire. Pre-tin it, solder to one side of the break, pull straight
and solder the other side. Make sure the track has wettable surfaces
exposed first, or course.

Thanks, will try. Even with magnification, smallest tip I have and a Zen
meditation session beforehand I'm not sure I'm precise enough to pull
this off but I'll take a shot at it

The tip size isn't important, really: the pretinned wire will be so fine,
that it will wet the bared trace and stick, and adjacent (solder-mask-covered)
traces won't ever get hot enough to wet (with the solder) even if you
make a big blob. The hard part, will be if you move the wire just a bit,
it could lift half the trace before connecting to the other half. Use tape to
position and hold the patch wire, and trim it to just bridge the break after cooling.

And, you'll want an artist's small paintbrush to apply flux.