Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bitrex bitrex is offline

Default Fine pitch trace repair

On 12/03/2018 09:05 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 4/12/18 12:53 pm, bitrex wrote:
Due to an unfortuante jab with the head of a screwdriver it looks like
I have at least one, possibly two broken traces on this GPU card, on
the traces running between the processor and VRAM. Result is corrupted
display output/won't switch into high-resolution modes. The ram is BGA
and the GPU likewise and under a small heat-sink so hard to test
continuity, plus the trace width is very small, looks like perhaps 4 mil:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig9h3vjze5omlie/2018-12-3%2018-11-20.jpg?dl=0

Palette inverted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m05pikt3yexq2f6/2018-12-3%2018-11-30.jpg?dl=0

Any suggestions for mending a break on a trace like this?

Fine wire. Pre-tin it, solder to one side of the break, pull straight
and solder the other side. Make sure the track has wettable surfaces
exposed first, or course.

Clifford Heath.

Thanks, will try. Even with magnification, smallest tip I have and a Zen
meditation session beforehand I'm not sure I'm precise enough to pull
this off but I'll take a shot at it