Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Does styrofoam absorb water?

On 12/3/2018 7:44 PM, The right one wrote:
replying to toller, The right oneÂ* wrote:
Look styrofoam doesnt float I did a project and I left styrofoam in water
for 3 weeks to see if it would sink or float. It sunk and particles came
off
of the styrofoam. Any one asking if styrofoam floats well heres your
answer
no!👎

First, what are you talking about. The blue extruded foam panels made
by Dow Chemical and trademarked Styrofoam? Or the while expanded
polystyrene board that people call styrofoam but is not?

Both will float but there will be some water absorption over time. It
also depends on how well it was made and fused to prevent absorption.
Properly made for flotation, EPS board will float for years. Most is
made for insulation so it does not matter.