Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hooray! Fixed!

I live on an island and it is hard to get CNC repair people out to
look at the machines. So I fix 'em myself.
The Miyano lathe developed a problem last week. It refused to
execute one particular M code, the spindle speed could no longer be
controlled in a program, the jog spindle speed dial now controlled
speed even in auto mode when it should not, and the "used up" alarm
came on after every part.
I called FANUC and they figured it was a particular circuit board.
I found one on eBay and ordered it. But it's a week and a half away.
I checked all the diagnostic parameters and everthing was fine.
Then this afternoon I checked the regular parameters and one had
changed. A parameter who's function is not listed in the book so I
didn't know what it did. But I had written down all the parameters
when I bought the machine, they are mostly 8 digits long, just ones
and zeros, but some are otherwise, such as backlash amounts, which are
entered as some multiple of one ten thousandth of an inch. The machine
was used when I bought it so some of the original parameters could
have changed, like backlash. And I have changed parameters too in
order to get the machine to do things it did not do when I bought it.
So I got into the back of the machine, where all the high voltage
is, along with the computer, opened up the computer enclosure and
flipped the parameter change switch. Then I used the control keyboard
to change the parameter back to where it was, got back behind the
lathe and flipped the parameter switch, cleared the alarm that happens
whenever a parameter is changed, and the machine now works great.
All I did was change a 0 back to a 1. I wonder how the damn
parameter changed in the first place?
Anyway, I am really happy now. Really happy. I mean REALLY HAPPY!
Eric