Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default For those who 'get' the internet/networking

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/12/2018 15:47, R D S wrote:
I've 80mb fibre at my workplace, and I get almost full speed.

But it gets slower and slower over the course of several days to the
point of unusability, then I reboot the router and it's flying again.

What would cause this? Stuff beyond my control, or is it possible it's my
gear?

It's not a fancy setup, Technicolor router with a couple of PCs plugged
in and a downwind switch with a PC and a printer plugged into that.
Laptop and mobile connecting wirelessly.

What could cause a network to clag up?

As others have suggested, the router running out of resources could be a
problem.

Another possibility is that as the router re-trains on the line, its over
optimising a little, and syncing very slightly faster than it should. This
makes the error rate rise, and lowers the effective data rate.. Restarting
forces it to reconnect at the VDSL level and re-negotiate. If this were
the case you could test it by waiting until its running slow, then pulling
the phone wire out for a few secs and then putting it back. That will
force an DSL resynch.

Cant be that, he said fiber.