Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default hydro electric

On 02/12/2018 12:57, wrote:
On Sunday, 2 December 2018 12:06:07 UTC, RJH wrote:
On 02/12/2018 04:08, tabbypurr wrote:

Quite. One person recently showed zero grasp of what it would be like to live on wind & solar when 98% of the generating capacity went down. They thought the lighting would all stay on.

Well I did too - thinking such systems had backup. Do solar/wind systems
really have no electricity storage or alternative source?

I was talking of nationwide systems, not single dwelling. Battery storage on that scale is impossible.

Ah, OK, thanks. I think there are town-scale systems of storage in use,
but they look quite Heath Robinson to me, and need particular terrain.

Still isnt the idea of getting a smart meter into every household is so
the skill of personal demand
management is learned my the masses or they will pay exorbitantly in the
future to continue to switch things on at the most conventional time like
we can now.

Difficult to predict - there's no one rationality. Some will try to save
money, some save 'the planet', some it'll appeal to avoiding waste, some
will set an arbitrary level of consumption and ramp up to that. Etc. Who
does what and why will unfold once decent scale research has been done
in the UK.

I can't see users changing their electricity consumption merely because they have a meter that expresses power use in 2 ways rather than 1

Which is another possibility.

--
Cheers, Rob