Tony Hwang

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly SolarCells)

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote:

The monitors are basically off most of the time (they run cold on standby
and the current draw is at a trickle). My wife's which is an older NEC 5FG,
just gets turned off at night when she's not using it. KVM switches were
once something I looked into, but many of them aren't spec'd to work above
1600x1200, and the computer workstations are situated too far apart.
I don't think there is too much more that can be done about the consumption
angle. Believe me, I've been thinking about this since last summer, when we
made the upgrade from Pentiums to Athlon XPs and noted the increase in room
temperature, followed by the increase in electric bill.
The remaining solution is to look at alternate power sources for some or
most of the operating period.

bly brings more
risks than benefits and would be expensive and complicated to implement.
Therefore, my solution has to be able to convert solar to 120VAC.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

Hi,
PCs need to be configured to take advantage of power saving.
My PCs all go to stand-by and sleep after certain period of inactivity.
Even hard drives cycle down. Nonitor goes blank.
Older boxes may not do this well but newer ones which is ACPI 2
compatible only needs configuration from your system BIOS/OS.
Tony