Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Help! -caustic soda overdose.

"newshound" wrote in message
news
On 27/10/2017 01:10, wrote:
On Sunday, 1 April 2012 09:34:05 UTC+1, Chris Holford wrote:
I thought it would be a good idea to put a little caustic soda down the
plugholes in the shower try. Unfortunately I was over generous and the
caustic soda granules seem to have congealed in the trap and blocked it.
Would be a big job to get to the trap. I've tried a plunger, and tried
neutralising with spirits of salts (NaOH + HCl H2O + NaCL, ie salt
and water). -still no joy. The drain hole has a white disk a little
below the opening which prevents direct poking.
Any ideas?
--
Chris Holford

I know this post is super old but just had this problem and thought it
might help someone. first poured caustic soda, it solidified, before i
realised i poured mr muscle drain gel and of course nothing happened.
Then I read about the dance of mixing drain cleaning products, but
figured since mr muscle is literally sodium hydroxide it couldn't turn
too sour. Removed all excess gel and water I could. Started pouring
kettle boiled water slowly, and draining and pouring and draining - after
12 kettles and 1 hour later everything unblocked!!!! I'm so happy, I was
loosing hope!

Just to remove any doubt for other readers.

When I did A level chemistry in the 1960's we were taught how to use solid
caustic soda.

If you havn't been taught, don't touch it.

Dont need to be taught, just able to read and follow instructions.