Garry Rossong

Default Iron out in water softener, toxic?

(Chris Szilagyi) wrote in message om...
Hello,
I am curious to know if adding Iron Out to a water softener is toxic
for drinking? Also what are the long-term effects on the softener
itself from doing this?

We do not drink the soft water directly, we run it through a reverse
osmosis filter, but our pets like to drink straight from the faucets.
We have noticed an orange tint that builds up over time on various
things that use the water (dishwasher, sinks, etc). From reading
these groups it would appear that using Iron Out may help. I have
read and been told it can be added to the softener, but I wanted to
see how safe this is first.

Thanks for all feedback on this issue!

Hi Chris, the answer to your question is its very toxic, basically the
softener bypasses the water thru the head when its in a regeneration
cycle. So you can use water (not Softened) when this is happening.
Do this proceddure when your going to bed, that way nobody will be
using water anyways.
Iron is a softener killer, it coats the resin beads and the only way
to clean them is with a similar product like what you have mentioned.
Softeners can only remove small amounts of iron (depending on the size
you have) it sounds like you really need to address the iron issue.
If its showing on the appliances then I would have to say that your
softener isn't working either (no soft water)or the capacity of the
softener will be reduced so you will be running out of soft water
really quick.

Hope this helps.
Garry