Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Help! -caustic soda overdose.

On 27/10/2017 01:10, wrote:
On Sunday, 1 April 2012 09:34:05 UTC+1, Chris Holford wrote:
I thought it would be a good idea to put a little caustic soda down the
plugholes in the shower try. Unfortunately I was over generous and the
caustic soda granules seem to have congealed in the trap and blocked it.
Would be a big job to get to the trap. I've tried a plunger, and tried
neutralising with spirits of salts (NaOH + HCl H2O + NaCL, ie salt
and water). -still no joy. The drain hole has a white disk a little
below the opening which prevents direct poking.
Any ideas?
--
Chris Holford

I know this post is super old but just had this problem and thought it might help someone. first poured caustic soda, it solidified, before i realised i poured mr muscle drain gel and of course nothing happened. Then I read about the dance of mixing drain cleaning products, but figured since mr muscle is literally sodium hydroxide it couldn't turn too sour. Removed all excess gel and water I could. Started pouring kettle boiled water slowly, and draining and pouring and draining - after 12 kettles and 1 hour later everything unblocked!!!! I'm so happy, I was loosing hope!

Just to remove any doubt for other readers.

When I did A level chemistry in the 1960's we were taught how to use
solid caustic soda.

If you havn't been taught, don't touch it.