Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Help! -caustic soda overdose.

On 30/11/2018 19:14, Causticbandit wrote:
replying to mwfurgalska18, Causticbandit wrote:
So I had the same issue. Basically the moisture in the pipe will react with
the NaOH rapidly generating heat and climping the excess NaOH together
as it
consumes all the moisture. The water theĀ* sits on top, forming a super
satursared solution of NaOH and preventing further dilution. How to rapidly
solve it: 1. grab a metal straw and push it all the way into the surface of
the NaOH plug. 2. Using a small funnel, drop hot water through the metal
straw. The fresh water will then dissolve a small portion of the surface
layer
of NaOH. You can tell it is working due to the straw heating up (I tried
with
plastic straw first but they melted!). 3. Repeat over the same spot a few
times and you will breach a hole through in a few minutes. This will push
water down and continue to dissolve the rest of the solid NaOH. NB: If
you use
more than one straw, it is faster.

you're replying to something posted on April 1st, *2012*