Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Mad question about electric clock

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 18:14:51 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 30/11/2018 17:13, wrote:
On Friday, 30 November 2018 16:16:48 UTC, Scott wrote:

There is a radio controlled clock at my former workplace. As I
installed it, I am still getting the blame that it is not working.
I'll check the battery voltage but it does seem to me that the battery
life is disappointing. Should I fit a lithium primary cell?

no point, lithium primaries are a lot more money for more capacity. Let them replace the alkaline cell now & then. Tell them be grateful they don't need to wind it every day.

NT

Scott, if you're not paying for the batteries, get the lithium ones. The
capacity is about 3 times as much as the standard alkaline ones. So,
they'll last a good deal longer. (I would say they will last 3 times as
long, but somebody will leap at me and say the power drain/voltage graph
is all wrong for this sort of application.)

Our kitchen clock, without the radio time-keeping, lasts a year or two
on one alkaline battery. I guess that's what your colleagues are
expecting, but a radio-synced clock is bound to have a bigger power drain.

I do agree with Tabby, though. Changing the battery over is hardly
rocket science. Why are you being called in? Do your colleagues call you
in to turn the kettle on, or have they mastered that already?

It's more a bit of fun TBH - a good way to keep in touch and (at this
time of year) to get a invite to the Christmas lunch.