Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shiming collets in a table router???

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 14:07:06 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

J. Clarke writes:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:36:09 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

So, is shimming the collet in some manner a "good" idea? Let me
rephrase that, it seems "a good idea" , but is it a smart one?

Before you shim, clean. Get the inside of that collet spotless--a .25
caliber pistol cleaning kit is your best bet. Use the solvent in the
kit and follow up with lacquer thinner.

Yeah, I'm going go buy a pistol cleaning kit to clean my
router collet. Give me a break.

Just get a can of solvent at Ace and use a toothbrush.

I thought it was a pretty good solution. OTOH, a gun-phobe would have
a problem with the tools.