Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.sci.physics
Bruce Farquhar Bruce Farquhar is offline

Default How can those Chinese water heaters work?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 22:13:50 -0000, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:30:11 -0000, "Bruce Farquhar"
wrote:

Those cheap Chinese water heaters which are simply two plates of metal, one on live and one on neutral, how can they work? Because the resistivity of tap water apparently varies from 2 to 200 ohm metres. That's a range of 100 fold in possible power output. I assume the resistivity changes due to impurities like lime in hard water areas?

It does not seem practical. what are the plates, I suppose AC would
limit electrochemical effects, but it does not sound practical.

They do seem to work - check out bigclive's videos on youtube.

As far as the resistance goes, I suppose with a mineral concentration
the resistance would fall with temperature,

I've not measured different waters as I only have access to Scottish tapwater and de-ionised water. It would be interesting for people around the world to measure the resistivity of their own tapwater.

but at 100C the bubbles
would provide negative feedback.

Yes bubbling does make the current fall.

Proof could be obtained by measuring the temperature. I would guess it
never goes over 100C :-)