Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Diane Abbott as our future Home secretary

On 29/11/2018 15:29, Robin wrote:
On 29/11/2018 15:09, newshound wrote:
On 28/11/2018 23:41, Mark wrote:
The Hackney MP tweeted on Tuesday: “Knocking people off bikes is
potentially very dangerous.
* It shouldn’t be legal for anyone.“Police are not above the law”
.https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4001976.html

The problem isn't the tactic. The problem is that the DD law doesn't
currently have a suitable exemption.

I suggest the problem is rather that people like Dianne Abbott don't
accept the CPS's pragmatic view of when there is and isn't a public
interest in proceeding against police drivers.

That seems to me to be an ad hominem attack that isn't backed up by any
evidence. And I certainly wouldn't trust the Evening Standard to present
a balanced report, or an accurate statement of the legal position. In
fact I think that this has been posted in the wrong NG.

My personal view is that it is an admirable tactic.

Of course in 1975 a lot of people thought that those convicted of the
Guildford pub bombings should be hanged. Even though there was, at the
time, more than enough evidence for any thoughtful person to throw
doubts on the convictions.

I seldom see anything wrong in challenging new policies or ideas, as a
matter of principle.