Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shiming collets in a table router???

on Thu, 29 Nov 2018 05:39:40 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:36:09 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Greetings

I have a harbor freight router table, which "mostly works".

However, the problem I'm having is getting 1/4 collets tight to
hold the router bits. It seems to me that first I must tighten up the
collar really tight ("till it snaps, then back off a quarter turn"),
before I can get the router bit to stop sliding in or out.
This gets to be a problem when I'm having to set a height at the
same time. So far I've been able to support the slot cutter bit to
the height above the table with a bit of wood scrap, then proceed to
tighten things up. But as I said, it seems that I've tightened the
collet "to murder tight" and it "should" be holding, but I can still
wiggle the router bit.

So, is shimming the collet in some manner a "good" idea? Let me
rephrase that, it seems "a good idea" , but is it a smart one?
--
pyotr filipivich
Just because they're invisible doesn't mean they are your friends.

I found this in a different forum ..

https://www.routerforums.com/general...-router-2.html

" I had a different HF plunge router. It was the one that is part of
the router table combo. The collet from my Bosch 1617 fit perfectly. I
have no idea if that would help you or not. "

Thanks. I'd be inclined to get / make a new table.

Let me see what Ye Olde Pawne Shoppe has.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich