Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Welsh Paul Welsh is offline

Default Diane Abbott as our future Home secretary

On 29/11/2018 12:47, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Mark"* wrote in message news

The Hackney MP tweeted on Tuesday: “Knocking people off bikes is
potentially very dangerous.
It shouldn’t be legal for anyone.“Police are not above the law”
.https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a4001976.html

She'll change her mind when her handbag and iPhone are nicked

It seems to me that it would be more sensible prevent crime by wireless
tracking of the iPhone rather than knocking a kid off a moped. AIUI the
police are currently reluctant to act even when they are told the exact
location of a stolen phone.

Whilst I understand young police officers like to race around in fast
cars it is very dangerous to allow them to do so. I am more scared of
being killed by a police car than I am being the victim of a moped mugger.

There are also a number of technological solutions. The first would be
insisting motor vehicles have electronic tracking and remote
control/cutoff. Other solutions include drone tracking of mopeds.
Widespread use of CCTV could also be very effective if combined with AI
to spot and track problems.