Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flood Coolant on the Lathe

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:01:15 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Who uses flood coolant on their manual lathe?

Do you get sprayed when using it? Do you waste a lot of coolant.

I was turning some 304 stainless yesterday on the 1440 and everything was
going fine until it started to get hot. Then it cooked inserts, and fast.

If you run flood do you stop using insert tooling?

Until now I've just used a cutting oil on the lathe when the cut seemed to
act like it needed it.

Bob..there are other methods besides "flood coolant".

Spray mist is a good method if properly implemented, as is "trickle
coolant"

Flood coolant has its place..in a fully enclosed machine.

Gunner

This lathe came with a coolant system (which I have not used) pre-installed.