Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Look165 Look165 is offline

Default speaker refoam

I did refoam speakers (mainly woofers) 5 years ago for my mother and me
; they work pretty fine (8Ohms 45W and 100W peak).

The only specific check is the centering BEFORE glueing.
The best is to put a cylinder of paper or plastic (about 1 or 0,5mm)
around the bobin for centering (take care not to damage the wiring).
Then glue the foam ring to the cone and the circular skeleton of the
speaker ; NO FORCE TO APPLY ; let everything must rest where it is.
After 2 days, take the cylinder off, clean and glue the diaphram.

Then let rest for at least 2 days.

Goodhifi is a very nice supplier, when you provide the right
informations (manufacturer, exact type - written on the magnet...).
They also provide tutos for operations (see Youtube).
You can get new diaphragms, new cones and the appropriate glue.

Before that, check the wiring is OK ; no enammelled wire damaged.

Forgive my lack of English.

John-Del a écritÂ*:
This is a favor for a friend of a friend. I've never done a refoam before but I realize it's not rocket science but there's probably a learning curve. I won't have the option of do a trial run.

These drivers come out of a pair of Infinity Crescendos, and the plastic dust caps seem well bonded to the cone. I'd much prefer to shim the cone before bonding the foams, but I don't know if the dust caps can be removed somehow from the cones without damaging them.

Any advice appreciated.