Tony Hwang

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly SolarCells)

Java Man (Espressopithecus) wrote:
In article , mweissX294
@earthlink.net says...
~
~ Hi,
~ Considered geothermal energy source under your house? Need to drill
~ holes deep down.
~ Tony
~
~
~ I had briefly looked into a 'system' proposed by a fellow named Dennis Lee,
~ who purported to have a 'free energy' system that used geothermal energy in
~ conjunction with freeon flowing through coils to generate turbine movement
~ and hence operate a generator. He claimed to offer free installations for a
~ limited time of these units.
~ I also read that he was arrested for fraud.
~ I watched a video that his people produced, and although some of the
~ 'theory' looked almost plausible, the guy didn't strike me as an inventor,
~ but more of a marketeer/shyster.
~ Right now, I expect to find solar cells and wind power to be closest to
~ realistic, unless there have been significant advances in other technologies
~ that I'm not current on.

I think you should read up on earth-source heat exchangers (often
erroneously called "geothermal"). They aren't inexpensive to
install, but they're the most practical "sustainable" heating source.

There are dozens of websites of interest, including many government
websites in the US and Canada that describe how they work and what
efficiencies you can gain with them. They are powered by
electricity, but use roughly 25% as much electricity to heat and cool
your home as using electrical heating. You could also consider an
air-source heat pump, but they aren't as efficient. However, the
payback period is shorter since they're not much more expensive than
regular heating systems.

Rick

Hi,
Here I saw a few working geo thermal heat exchange systems installed by
local firm. It's great. Only problem is it costs ~25,000.00CAD for the
time being. If I were building a new house, I'd give serious
consideration to it.
Tony
Calgary, AB.