Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lucifer[_6_] Lucifer[_6_] is offline

Default Variac question

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:09:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, 9 November 2018 00:08:03 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

There are unique conditions in which an isolation transformer
does not prevent the risk of electric shock.
Therefore they increase the risk of electric shock.

** What I wrote was that if the use of an iso tranny is not essential,
you are better off not using one and taking all the usual precautions instead.

This detailed article by Rod Elliot explains why using an iso is hazardous -
not that reading it will have the slightest impact on wooden heads like you
or NT.

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/iso-xfmr.htm

an article with a lot of errors & dubious assumptions, as a result of
which he comes to wrong conclusions. If I get the time I'll go through
it.

One error is where he writes,
"Without isolation, you know exactly what is dangerous at all times.
It's quite apparent that you can't touch anything that's at mains
potential,"

That's poor English. Obviously you can touch anything that's at
mains potential but you shouldn't.

FYI:

The use of an RCD, ELCB or other earth leakage detector ( aka safety
switch) on a workbench is a safety essential.

I fixed lots of TVs with no such 'essential'. Most were live chassis.
Any sensible person would advise using one now, but essential? We
just used what was available & affordable at the time.

NT