Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Bathroom illuminated mirror problem

On 23/11/2018 22:43, Roger Mills wrote:
I have an illuminated bathroom mirror which has two unsilvered vertical
strips with 15w T8 fluorescent tubes behind them. The tubes are powered
via a single 2-way electronic ballast.

The lights have suddenly developed a fault. When turned on, they light
normally but then go out after a few (4 or 5) seconds. If I then turn
them off and wait a minute or so, I can turn them on again - and the
cycle repeats. There's no way they'll stay on more than a few seconds.

Anyone come across this sort of thing? AIUI, the ballast is supposed to
deliver a high start-up current and then cut it to a lower level for
running. So could it be cutting the current to zero rather than to the
proper value?

Is replacing the ballast likely to fix the problem, or could the tubes
be at fault?

The ballast is a Kengo KEB-215. I can't find one of these anywhere, or
even one of another make with the same spec. The nearest I can find is a
Tridonic 22185216 - which is 2 x 18w rather thanĀ* 2 x 15w. It's also
slightly longer, so I'd have to bodge the mounting brackets. Assuming I
can make it physically fit, is the difference in electrical spec likely
to be a problem?

Go LED?

--
Adam