Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Porch railing

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 8:31:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 17:23:03 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 6:16:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 13:46:50 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/18/2018 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:44:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it, sorry, I
missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming that's an issue?

It was right there...he's in Hotlanta...not _much_ snow.

I think you're missing (the other) Keith's (Nuttle) post. Not sure
where he lives.

The facility to be able to not have to go over or around is useful where
is snow, however, "trudat!".

For light snow, sure. For a foot or three, it's going to be hard to
get it under, too. At some point it's easier to go over. ...or wait
for spring.

Not true. Regardless of the amount of snow, you can always take some off
the top and toss it side to side until you have a path to the under-rail
opening. Then it's just a matter of knocking the sides down into the path
and pushing it through. BTDT lots of times.

Until the snow on the outside the railing gets higher than the deck.

If that ever happens to me, I'll have more issues than snow on my deck.

As I said earlier, my deck is 6' off the ground. If I ever have that much
snow piled up in the back yard, we're screwed!

I spent a year in AK. I remember building snow stairs to get out the
buildings. The 1 story buildings would get buried on the windward side.
The only way to maintain the entrances on that side was to cut stairs in
the snow as it piled up.

Outside of the door by the radio room we had an official weather station like
the one shown below. Most of the year we used a step ladder to access the
instruments inside it. In the winter, we kept it dug out just enough to be
able to open the doors while we knelt in front of it.

https://goo.gl/images/UGV9Go

We used to ski off the roofs of the buildings. If you want to test your
balance and agility, buy a pair of seal skin slippers from a local Eskimo.
When new, they still have the seal fur on the bottom. Ever notice how easily
a seal slides along the snow? Now climb up on the roof and try to ski down
the drift in those slippers. It's really hard not to spill your beer.