Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Porch railing

On 11/18/2018 5:18 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:44:09 PM UTC-5,
wrote:
On 11/14/2018 9:02 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:57:47 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 8:42 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:43:45 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag
easily. One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a
1" sag in the middle. They're still pretty close to the same
color (it fades like vinyl siding does) and in good shape after
about 8 years.

Puckdropper

Yeah, in midsummer KS sun, it's about like a wet noodle and
retains "set" when cools.

If it's supported with balusters every 6" (or whatever the code
is), it should be good? I need to replace my deck's decking next
year and I don't want to waste money on wood again. I'd love to
extend the deck, too, but not sure I'm up for that.

The whole thing can sag; it would need at least one intermediate
support over the 6-ft span from what I've observed in town here.
If weather not so extreme as SW KS and the like, "maybe" it'd be
ok.

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more
humidity, which is irrelevant in this case).

Also will burn to the touch in direct sun to point of blistering
tender skin...

Been sliding down the banister nekkid again, huh? ;-)

The particular case I saw was a toddler...but that too, could be a
problem, granted...
OP: I have talked to a contractor and found that that railing must be
able to support 200 pounds outward pressure. There are 12 foot
lengths (10.5' longest run) of a vinyl made that meet the
requirement. It is reinforced by a metal "bar", and will be
supported by blocks sitting on the porch floor.

He is getting me a quote. I am sure that it can not be more than
what it was going to cost to get it stripped, primed and painted.

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it,
sorry, I missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming
that's an issue?

My deck is 6' off the ground. I used to lift the snow over the
railing, then I got smart/lazy/old (not necessarily in that order) and
modified one section to do this:

https://i.imgur.com/sipUFVv.jpg

I just took advantage of the mod this morning. If there's a big enough
pile, I'll run the snowblower through it to open a path along the
front of the deck.

Unfortunately no. We live east of Raleigh where 1" of snow is a
regional catastrophy.

I was born in northern Indiana and miss the snow, expecially the squeeky
variety. I would gladly trade 1 90 Degree 90% day for two zero days,
if possible. Then there is the grandson factor, that has to be considered

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre