Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Default Looking for Ways to Reduce Electricity Usage (Possibly Solar Cells)

One of the biggest users is an electric hot water heater. You can reduce
this by placing it on a timer and taking showers every other day rather
than every day. (get a 7 day 240 V timer - link below)

We're oil-fired hot water and oil-fired furnace here. N/A.

Also place electronic stuff like TV, microwave, stereo, etc. on a switch.
These things use electricity when not on. Turn off power to these things
when not in use.

That's true, but the problem is I have a constant 20A draw from four
computer servers running 24/7.

Heating/air conditioning costs can be reduced by adding insulation and
replacing your windows with energy star double pane windows. Close off
rooms which are not used, install heavy drapes on windows.

The house is super-insulated. 6" wall studs, 1" foam, + 6" fiberglass, +
aluminum foil under the wallboard. Ceilings have 12" joists, 10" fiberglass
and 1" foam. Temp drop is very slow, even at -10ºF. The problem is our
electric bill, mostly, due to these computers. I'd like to find alternative
sources of energy for them.

Also post to misc.consumers.frugal-living (This group can give you all
sorts of money saving ideas...)

One model of water heater timer...
(Search for water heater timer)
http://www.energyautomationinc.com/ti040.shtml

Energy Star Web Site...
http://www.energystar.gov/

Good info! I'll peruse these tomorrow.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com